We hope this message finds you happy and healthy as we come to the end of 2020, a year that was truly challenging for everyone.
Despite our challenges, ANJC continued to grow and increase our capacity to help more people. With our growing staff, our new and expanded services include:
- Tribal justice support, Tribal court training and technical assistance
- Legal advice, representation, and intensive advocacy case management for victims of crime
- Mentoring youth in partnership with Big Brothers, Big Sisters
- Supporting incarcerated youth in partnership with McLaughlin Youth Center
- Hybrid service delivery available in-person, telephonic and virtually
- A private access point and technology for participants to be able to make court appearances remotely
As we move into 2021, we are focusing on service expansion, increased advocacy services, a broadened client base and increasing youth services. These focus areas, in collaboration with some of our partners, include:
- Statewide efforts in combating Human Trafficking in partnership with Alaska Federation of Natives, Aleutian Pribilof Islands Association, Bering Sea Women’s Group and Bristol Bay Native Association
- Elder Services to those who are victims of violent crime in partnership with Alaska Legal Services Corporation
- The Legal and Restorative Justice Programs will begin providing support with the variance process for people with certain kinds of criminal convictions
- Increased youth and adult reentry services with expanded services with Partners Reentry Center and Central Council Tlingit & Haida Indian Tribes of Alaska and Bean’s Cafe
In short, 2020 was a busy year for ANJC. We partnered with the Alaska Court System and Cook Inlet Tribal Council (CITC) to install a remote Court Kiosk to provide participants secure, private access to the court system and to lessen barriers of access to justice.
In November, our annual Voices for Justice fundraising campaign was an innovative, all-virtual effort that resulted in more than $108,000 in donations. We’re profoundly grateful for this generosity of our donors and partners, and excited to put these funds to use in support of ANJC’s work in the justice system.
We want to thank you for being a respected partner; our success is due to our partnership and we look forward to another successful year.